Progressive Junior College of New York
The Progressive Junior College of New York (PJCNY) is a college that specializes in technology and the applied sciences. All of our students graduate at the end of two years with either an Associates of Applied Science and Technology (A.A.S.) degree. Approximately 17% of the students enter the work force immediately (usually with the company that they interned under) and the remaining 83% transfer into a four year college to continue their education in their designated field.
What separates PJCNY from other Junior Colleges and Community Colleges is the fact that we admit “exceptional seniors.” Exceptional seniors are those students that are in their fourth year of high school, but by the end of their third year have met all of the requirements necessary to receive a Regents Diploma with Advanced Distinction. These students are often in the top five percent of their class, but must be in the top ten percent to apply for our program. These exceptional seniors are afforded the opportunity to take classes full time at our school and under this program receive “dual enrollment.” This dual enrollment allows them to receive additional high school credit (and they graduate with the rest of their high school class), but at the same time are receiving college credit and completing their first full year of college.
PJCNY prides itself on its state of the art buildings. Since we are a green school and very much concerned about our environment, all of our buildings are green buildings. Our buildings are heated and cooled using geothermal energy and our electric is supplied through solar panels and two wind turbines. Our campus center food court serves most food with reusable utensils, plates, bowls, and cups. All students are encouraged to eat in our dining area, but if food must be removed from the food court, environmentally-safe one-use food containers are available. Our entire campus recycles plastic, cans, glass, paper, and even provides compost containers. All of our restrooms are equipped with pressure-assist toilets that use a maximum of 0.8 gallons of water per flush, motion activated water and soap dispensers, and hand dryers. What may be most surprising is that we are so environmentally conscience that as part of each professor’s benefit package, they are given a hybrid vehicle to drive, a Toyota Prius, as well as a Hewlett-Packard laptop.
The classrooms at PJCNY are as state of the art as the school itself. Each classroom is built according to the most recent ergonomic standards to provide the students and professors with as much comfort as possible. All of the classrooms are furnished with tables that have power outlets for student use (not individual desks), arm chairs, white boards, and a main computer with projector and speaker accessibility. Every area of our campus is accessible to a secure wireless internet source (student or faculty ID and password required). Our class sizes are limited to a total of 15 students to ensure that each student is provided with the tools that need to be successful. Here at PJCNY, we feel that any more than 15 students allows for failure in some facet of the educational process-whether it be at the faculty or student level-and that is not acceptable by our standards.
PJCNY offers many types of extracurricular activities as well. We offer many clubs that students can join such as: Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), American Marketing Association (AMA), Craft and Creativity Club (CCC), American Mathematical Society (AMS), Chorus, Band, Amnesty International, Chess Club, Quiz Bowl, and many more. We also invite students to create new clubs if there is an area that they are interested in. The founders of PJCNY also feel very strongly about physical health and are strong supporters of the sports teams. Some of the sports that are offered are: soccer (men’s and women’s), field hockey, football, basketball (men’s and women’s), cross country, indoor and outdoor track, and many more.